This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install tor and tor's browser?`

well, i've looked everyywhere for a better post this, so i'm placing it gere. i want to install the brower that uses tor. if fact, the more tor-related packages, the better. anybody use tor, &c?

I tried tor for a month. I wasn't satisfied with the connections. It would either refuse my connection or download speeds would just plain suck. I ended up using ibVPN, which was cheaper per month and I don't have connection issues beyond the "me" factor (took me a couple of hours to realize that I needed to install a network-manager/openvpn plugin). And I've had up to 4MB/s downloads on a 10MB/s cable connection (Tor would usually net me 500KB/s, if and when I connected).
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I installed Tor and ran the Tor browser.

My tested bandwidth is 12Mb/s out of 14Mb/s, using the "Internet Speed Test" site on the Plattsmouth server 30 miles from here. Testing my connection speed on that site using the Tor browser produced a speed of 175Kb/s. Did I mention that browsing was extremely slow? If you don't mind waiting for 2 or 3 minutes for the Kubuntuforms.net home page to fill out then the Tor browser is just the ticket. Watch a YouTube video? Forget it. Browse the major media web pages with all their graphical images? Forget it. Browse DrudgeReport? Barely usable, especially since the site repaints its screen every few minutes. The previous repaint has barely been finished when the next one fires off.

You can browse faster using the regular FF or Chromium browser but doing that exposes your data and location, even through Tor.

But, the real problem is NOT the speed of the Tor Browser. It is the fact that browsing with Tor does not guarantee anonimity, as even the Tor disclaimer will tell you.

Here is an informative video for Tor noobs:

If you have a particular and fixed endpoint you want to communicate with a VPN is a better choice. Failing that, run Kubuntu as a LiveUSB on somebody else's laptop from a free wifi at some fast food place in another city than the one you live in, and don't create or use any email accounts. Post your msgs anonymously. Am I paranoid? Read about the Lavabit email service and it's propietor, Levison.
      http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...abit_unsealed/
      and those willing to blame him and not an overpowering, intrusive police state:
      http://blog.simplejustice.us/2013/10...ally-bad-call/
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 03, 2013, 09:07 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Just go to torproject.org download the Linux package, extract the files, click the one that says "Start Tor Browser"

You can also run "Tails" on a CD or USB.

Also Know that your ISP can see your connected to a Tor node, they can't see where your going.
        Last edited by Robtygart; Nov 30, 2013, 02:15 PM.
        Rob

Comment

The easy way to install Tor (works with ubuntu, mint, or any debian based distributions). From http://namhuy.net/979/how-to-install...-on-linux.html

For 32 bit systems:
          Code:
          $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/tor
          $ sudo apt-get update
          $ sudo apt-get install tor-browser
          For 64 bit systems:
          Code:
          $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/tor64
          $ sudo apt-get update
          $ sudo apt-get install tor-browser
          After the installation is finished, set the right ownership on the ~/.tor-browser:

Code:
          $ sudo chown -R $USER ~/.tor-browser

Comment

GreyGeek, thanks for the video, it's a great explanation.

I haven't used Tor myself, but I think it's interesting.

Feathers
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X